Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Case For More Veggie Burritos


A friend of mine who is vegetarian asked me about the best veggie burritos I have had. This made me realize two things: 1. though a quality selection of vegetarian options exist like here and here, there are too few represented in this blog, and 2. I eat A LOT of meat.

To do the math of how many animals I have consumed is kind of shocking. One serving of meat equals one animal -- maybe -- per meal. Bacon for breakfast, turkey sandwich for lunch, and an asada burrito for dinner is at least 3 animals. Multiply that by 365 days for the last 20 years, and I am confronted with an astounding figure of over 20,000 animals.

I don't eat meat for every meal, but for every meatless meal there is probably a barbecue somewhere with a smorgasbord of chicken, sausage, and steaks to rack up the total.

This does not weigh down on me. I don't lose sleep over the food I consume, nor do I have any strong feelings one way or another what any person chooses to do with their diet. One of the quickest ways to see my eyes fog over is to mention "no harm" diets or list all the ways one idea is superior to the other.

That being said, I do believe the future of humanity will be vegetarian. Not because everyone will develop a distaste for meat, but because SCIENCE!


Scientists at the University of Missouri worked more than a decade developing a soy-based chicken substitute with all of the textures and look of chicken. Plant-based proteins have become so sophisticated when the labels on two different chicken salads, one meat-based and one plant-based, were accidentally swapped in production no one was the wiser until the company came forward to admit fault.

Soyrizo is a healthier alternative with nearly identical flavor and texture to traditional chorizo. Whenever the option is available, I'll go soyrizo every time.

Eliminating the need for massive farming operations, slaughterhouses, manure lagoons, and all of the resources going towards the raising and maintaining of millions of animals requires a meat substitute that is as tasty and, most importantly as cheap.

I think the main reason people are so quick to defend an omnivorous diet is socioeconomical. In America a McDonald's hamburger is cheaper and more readily available than an assemblage of produce needed to create a salad. As long as it is cheaper to eat meat vegetarianism will never be a viable option to the vast majority of the world's population.

Personally, I love meat. The vast array of flavors within a single cow boggles my mind and gets my salivary glands all worked up, but I'm willing to admit if I could experience all of it and never force a person to work slave wages in a field, harm another cow, or destroy the environment, I would prefer to be a vegetarian.

What this boils down to, for this blog anyway, is an attempt on my part to incorporate more vegetarian reviews. I want to be able to point towards the best chili relleno burrito just as easy as I do the best arrachera. More burritos for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment