Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2014

El Efectivo



Once again, I'm driving down Union in South Bakersfield looking for my burrito fix. There's rumors of amazing taco trucks in these parts, and there is no shortage of burrito burrows. Problem is taco trucks come out at night around here, and it is lunch time. 
I'm almost to the edge of town, a little past Pacheco, when I see an odd restaurant sign named unlike any other Mexican restaurant I've encountered: El Efectivo.
El Efectivo
A literal hole in the wall, El Efectivo is in a rough patch. There's a lady digging with a stick through a newly-opened Goodwill donation bin, and a tattooed shirtless man built much like a triangle working on his bicycle in the lot out front. It took a small act of bravery to approach the window. 
I was greeted by the apotheosis of an abuelita. Standing eye level to the counter, the sweet lady took my order, and I took my seat under the tarp covering the chairs, tables, and booths on the side of the building. 
And then I waited...
10 minutes passed. 15 minutes. Finally, 20 minutes later, after seeing plate after beautiful plate served to the surrounding tables, I was called to the window and handed a paper bag capable of holding a meal for a small family and a half-liter of Coke. 
Like a kid on Christmas, I opened the bag and started pulling out all of the presents prepared just for me.
family photo
Cucumbers and lemons, marinated onions and jalapenos, two salsas, my two tacos (carnitas and al pastor), and my hefty carne asada burrito. 
I almost cried. 
The first bite into the asada burrito cast a spell that the carnitas only intensified. I was laughing and biting and laughing and chewing. Hysterical with my find, I attempted to eat everything pictured.
The carnitas have the perfect braise outside while maintaining delicious tenderness and the carne asada is over-cooked intentionally, reminiscent of a San Diego style burrito. Small pieces of steak in abundance with tons of flavor did not disappoint. 
El Efectivo lives up to its name serving up some of the most authentic Mexican cuisine I've come across. On the short list of best Mexican food in Bakersfield, El Efectivo is a welcome addition my top Bakersfield recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment