Search This Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sky's Tacos


Let me begin by stating I am not what you would call a seafood fan. I grew up on catfish and shrimp, I dabble in sushi, and I’ve had some truly orgasmic moments with dungeness crab, but for me to walk into a restaurant and roll the dice with fish is a rare experience indeed. 
I would have to go to a place that appreciates the beauty of a catfish. Somewhere they can impart love to a lobster tail because they understand its frigid nature. 
I would have to go to Sky’s Tacos on Pico in Los Angeles. 
I decided to give the lobster burrito and steak taco a try. For Sky’s to meet my criteria I had to pay for an additional tortilla to make the burrito wrap-able. See, Sky’s serves an “open-face” burrito which is akin to a really large taco. 
From the beginning, this burrito is unlike any other. 2, now 3, seasoned flour tortillas with a red hue, lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, tomato, cheese, and sassy sauce all come out to play.
The taste is explosive due in part to the tortillas, but the superstar in this lineup is definitely the sassy sauce. It is Mexico meets Louisiana. 
My only gripe is possibly what first draws people in: lobster. Shrimps and lobsters do not excite my taste buds. They bring little, if any flavor after wrapping themselves in the culinary camouflage of their surroundings, so to pay almost twice as much for a lobster burrito ($11.49) as opposed to the steak ($6.49) seems unnecessary if not abusive. 
Especially because the steak taco I had was so tender and tasty. A bullseye center chopped into corn tortillas with all the fixings of the burrito sans the sour cream for $3 may be expensive for the taco truck connoisseur, but one doesn’t come to Sky’s Tacos for standard truck fare. 
Overall, I love the flavors and atmosphere of Sky’s Tacos. Bold tastes and an exciting menu have me itching to go back to dive deeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment